Seasoned Saints' Ministry
Seasoned Saints’ Ministry Statement
The mission of the Seasoned Saints’ Ministry is to create and support an environment for seniors to fellowship together. The ministry provides seniors with information and services that cater to their specific needs and concerns. The Seasoned Saints’ members provide tremendous support to the Church’s mission of Kingdom building and community outreach. A Seasoned Saint is a church member who is at least 55 years of age and up.
We support the church’s vision, mission, and leadership. Our mission is to enrich the lives of the senior members of our church family and the community through fellowship, good works, and prayer.
To present, address, and serve the seniors, aged 55 and older, of St John’s Congregational Church.
To create and support an environment for seniors to fellowship together; to provide seniors with information and services that cater to their specific needs and concerns; to support the Church’s mission of Kingdom Building as well as community outreach.
“Let your light so shine that men will see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.” Matthew 5:16
Drop In Day
Drop In Day is held the first Wednesday of each month so that seniors can come together to fellowship. Attendance averages 50 or more people. Typical Drop-In Day Schedule.
- Fellowship: 10:00am
- Devotion: 10:30am
- Exercise: 11:00am
- Lunch: 12:00pm
- Guest Speaker(s): 1:00pm
Seasoned Saints Book Discussion Group
All ages meet twice a month on a Saturday to discuss books of Christian relevance read by the group. The group meets at the Sixteen Acres Library at 1187 Parker Street in Springfield. This has proven to be a very popular activity. The purpose is to gain power to transform our mind, soul, heart, and body, so we can think, and better understand; feel, and experience God’s presence; and live with joy, knowing that what is most important to God can also be important to us. The types of books can vary widely. Some of the titles that we have discussed previously include:
- 12 Christian Beliefs That Can Drive You Crazy - by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- When I Lay My Isaac Down - by Carol Kent
- Journey to the Well - by Bishop Vashti McKenzie
- Out of Hell and Living Well - by Rev Dr Barbara Reynolds
- The Threshing Floor - by Juanita Bynum
- In the Grip of Grace - by Max Lucado
- Life on the Vine - by Phillip Kenneson
- Controlling the Tongue - by R.T. Kendall
- Total Forgiveness by - R.T. Kendall
- Thorn in the Flesh by - R.T. Kendall
- The Anointing: Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow - by R.T. Kendall
Friday Night at the Movies
These are movies for spiritual growth. This is a monthly activity that was developed to include those Seasoned Saints who are still working and cannot attend the daytime Drop-In Day. Friday Night at the Movies has proven to be a success. We have offered such films as: “Color of the Cross; Steve Harvey-Don’t Trip…God’s Not Through With Me Yet; One Night with the King; Facing the Giants, The Pursuit of Happyness; The Fighting Temptations; Kingdom Come; Daddy’s Little Girls; The Gospel; and First Sunday.
- Gospel Grits and Gravy Breakfast
- Christmas Food Basket and Toy Give Away
- The Urban League-Seasoned Saints Thanksgiving Luncheon
- The Seasoned Saints Christmas Party
- The Seasoned Saints have also sponsored several events.
- These include: Sock Drive for the Homeless Shelter 2005
- Blanket Drive for the Homeless Shelter- 2005
- 5-Day Trip to Niagara Falls/Toronto- 2005
- Swap Meet (funds built a home in Botswana)-2005
- Clothing Drive for DeBerry Elementary School-2006
- Two Bus Trips to see “The Color Purple” in NY-2006
- Hosted Church Women United-2006
- Bus Trip to see “The Color Purple” in NY-2007
- Day Trip to Yankee Candle and Magic Wings-2007
- 7-Day Trip to Florida-2008
- Leo Williams Martial Arts Studio Field Trip-2008
The Seasoned Saints’ Ministry was awarded a grant from the Irene E. and George A. Davis Foundation in July 2006.
The Seasoned Saints’ Ministry believes in being involved in the community. Past involvement includes:
- Participated in the unveiling of the Marian Anderson Stamp by the US Postal Service. The ministry was presented with a framed version of the stamp.
- Participated as judges at the annual Science Fair at the Rebecca Johnson School in 2006 & 2007.
- Participated in the DeBerry Elementary School Car Wash Fundraiser for their proposed Outdoor Classroom in 2008.
The Seasoned Saints are a passionate group seeking to share the love the Lord has given to us. We are currently recruiting members for The Seasoned Saints Support Team, and the Ministry Leadership Team. The Seasoned Saints Ministry Leadership Team meets every Third (3rd) Saturday of the month in DeBerry Hall from 10:00 a.m. -11:30 a.m.